VMware Horizon 8: Virtual Desktop Troubleshooting
This two-day course builds your skills in resolving common issues that occur in a VMware Horizon® environment.
This two-day course builds your skills in resolving common issues that occur in a VMware Horizon® environment. You engage in a series of lab exercises to bring existing environment issues to resolution. The exercises mirror real-world troubleshooting use cases.
These exercises equip learners with the knowledge and practical skills to manage typical challenges faced by virtual desktop administrators and operators.
This course also requires knowledge of the following:
- Using VMware vSphere® Web Client to view the state of virtual machines, datastores, and networks
- Opening a virtual machine console on VMware vCenter Server® and accessing the guest operating system
- Configuring Active Directory services, including DNS, DHCP, and time synchronization
- Restricting user activities by implementing Group Policy objects
- Configuring Windows systems to enable Remote Desktop Connections
- Building an ODBC connection to an SQL Server database
Who Should Attend?
New or junior administrators and operators; system managers accountable for staffing and training Horizon operators and administrators.
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
- Structured approach to troubleshooting configuration and operational problems
- Applying troubleshooting methods
- Documenting the steps to resolving the problem
- Using command-line tools
- Backing-up and restoring VMware Horizon databases
- Only applicable for Horizon 7.x environments
- Describe the components that make up a VMware Horizon desktop
- Explain how the View Agent Direct-Connection plug-In is useful for diagnosing problems
- Highlight the best practice for optimizing a VMware Horizon desktop
- Troubleshoot common problems with VMware Horizon desktops
- Discuss how instant clones are created
- Discuss what gets logged when an instant clone is created
- Discuss the keywords to look for in the logs when troubleshooting instant clones
- Discuss how to troubleshoot problems with instant clones
- Correctly configure the Windows Client
- Identify the correct log level for gathering logs
- Enable the required SSL configuration level for the environment
- Discuss the key ports on a Horizon Environment
- Discuss protocols used in the Horizon Environment
- Understand the benefit of optimizing Blast
- Become familiar with the optimization features for Blast
- Implement GPO changes for Blast
- Become familiar with the causes for Black Screens
- Discuss how to troubleshoot Black Screen problems
- Identify problems encountered when applying GPOs
- Discuss how to troubleshoot GPO-related problems